Happy Friday! Right now I am on my way to sunny South Beach to celebrate with a wonderful friend of mine. But first I had to make arrangements to share this amazing "Love You," by my real life colleague at the day job and friend, Ms. Krystal Clark. Like me, Krystal spends her day job working with our amazing students at Vanderbilt University. In addition, she has a wonderful blog, Peculiar Pearl, where she shares all sorts of amazingness. I hope you are as excited as I am to dive in to Krystal’s "loves."
"1. I love that I love being alone. --If I want to go somewhere, then I'll go. I enjoy eating alone, going to the movies alone, shopping alone, going to church alone, attending concerts alone. I like being all by myself.
2. I love that I love ALL kinds of music.--My mom played oldies while my brother listened to a lot of real hip hop and somewhere along the way I fell in love with everything in between and on opposite sides of that continuum. My concert continuum ranges from MC Hammer to Mumford & Sons.
3. I love that I have a huge smile and a big laugh. Belly laughs are necessary for my general health and well-being. My mom always taught me to smile and say hello to people and I never grew out of that habit. You just never know who might need your smile and you certainly never know where that one smile might take you.
4. I love that I love public speaking. I feel this crazy sense of comfort with a microphone in my hand in front of a crowd.
5. I love that I'm a bit of a nerd. I was the student who hung onto the docent's every word on museum field trips. I'm a book worm in a butterfly costume.
6. I love that I'm my mother's daughter. She could never deny me and as the days go by I see so much of her inside of me. I'm good with that because she's a great woman.
7. I love that I hold the best one woman dance parties in town. My living room is where it all goes down. Seriously, at least twice a week there is a throw down at Club 1310.
8. I love that my gorgeous chocolate skin has provided me with an incredible palette for any color of the rainbow. I'm one of those people that can wear orange, yellow, lime green and bright blues. I didn't always love my skin color but now I fully embrace it.
9. I love random things about my body like my left handedness and the fact that I can lift very heavy things up the steps to my apartment. I love that I have amazing eyesight, I can sleep through most things, that my head is good for hats, and that I have one randomly split eyebrow.
10. I love that I'm not often where people expect me to be or what they expect me to be.
Finally, I love that at 30 I am at a place where I have to narrow down the list of things that I love about myself. I'm not sure that would have been the case 10 years ago. We're all works in progress but I'm super blessed God had brought me this far."
So did you notice that Krystal shared a whopping 10 Loves??? I did, and I loved it!! So many of us have shared that this task of sharing things you love about yourself can be difficult, and I love Krystal's last love, "I love that at 30 I am at a place where I have to narrow down the list of things that I love about myself." I completely agree with her that the older I get, the more comfortable I get in my own skin. I know that had I done this in my early 20s it would have been much harder than it was in my now late 20s. Krystal reminds us that as we get more comfortable in our own skin, things will just keep getting better. She has inspired me to go back to my initial loves and start expanding. What about you guys? A big thank you again to Krystal for sharing what she loves about herself today. I hope everyone has an amazing weekend. Lotsa love...J